Did you know that April 26th was National Pretzel Day? I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share with you my favourite recipe for Everything Bagel Pretzels. We've teamed up with Omega Crunch to create our special Everything Bagel Seasoning, which really helps boost the flavour. And if you're looking for a game-day appetizer, try making these into bite size pieces instead of large pretzels!
And as always, be sure to tag us in your photos on Facebook so we can see your version of our family favourites!
- Farmer John
2.5 cups (375 ml) flour
1 cup (250 ml) warm water
1 Tbsp (15 ml) quick rising yeast
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 Tbsp (15 ml) melted butter
Baking Soda Bath
4 cups (250 ml) water
1/4 cup (62.5 ml) baking soda
1 Tbsp (15 ml) water
Everything Bagel Seasoning
2 tsp (10 ml) Omega Crunch roasted garlic shelled flax
1 tsp (5 ml) Farmer John's Organic Poppy Seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) Farmer John's Organic Onion Flakes
1 tsp (5 ml) sesame seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) coarse kosher salt
- Whisk together water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl and let stand for 10 minutes, or until yeast is foaming.
- Add oil, salt and flour to yeast mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Once it becomes difficult to mix, dump mixture onto floured surface and knead dough by hand for 5-6 minutes, adding more flour if needed.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a dish towel. Let rise for 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, prepare your egg wash by whisking together your egg and water, and prepare the Everything Bagel Seasoning by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Set both aside,
- Once dough has finished rising, divide into 8-10 equal size pieces and roll into long skinny ropes then twist into pretzel shapes.
- In a large pot, dissolve baking soda in water and bring to a boil.
- Working with 1-2 pretzels at a time (depending on the size of your pot), dip pretzel into boiling baking soda bath for approximately 30 seconds.
- Once removed from the baking soda bath, place pretzels on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Lightly brush pretzels with your egg wash and sprinkle with the Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Bake at 475 F for 10 minutes, or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and carefully brush with melted butter immediately
- Serve and enjoy
Approximate Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 8-10 pretzels
- Farmer John