I love making homemade sausage, and using quality ingredients is the secret to mouth watering flavours - and to controlling the level of spice. These easy sausage rolls are always a hit at our family gatherings so it's a good thing this recipe makes a big batch. If you're cooking for a smaller crowd, just pop the leftovers in the freezer and reheat them when the neighbours stop by unannounced.
Be sure to tag us in your photos on Facebook so we can see your version of our family favourites!
- Farmer John
2lb lean ground pork
2 Tbsp (30 ml) red wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) black pepper
2 tsp (10 ml) Farmer John's Savory Sea Salt
2 tsp (10 ml) Farmer John's Organic Parsley
2 tsp (10 ml) Farmer John's Organic Garlic
2 tsp (10 ml) Farmer John's Organic Onion
2 tsp (10 ml) Farmer John's Summer Savory
1 tsp (5 ml) Farmer John's Organic Paprika
1 tsp (5 ml) Farmer John's Organic Cayenne Pepper
1/2 (2.5 ml) Farmer John's Organic Fennel Seed
1 package (454 g / 16 sheets) phyllo pastry, thawed as directed on package
1/2 cup (125 ml) melted butter (substitute with olive oil for dairy free option)
- Combine vinegar and spices with ground pork and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2-12 hours
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare baking tray with parchment paper
- Remove phyllo pastry from package and keep unused sheets covered with a damp towel
- Working with one sheet at a time, brush generously with melted butter or olive oil and lay the next later on top. Repeat 3 more times so that you have a buttered stack of 4 sheets
- Arrange approximately 1/4 cup of uncooked sausage meet along the short edge of your pastry. Feel free to use more sausage if you would like a thicker roll.
- Brush the top of the roll with butter (or olive oil) and cut into 6, bit size pieces. Again, feel free to cut them to desired size.
- Repeat with remaining sausage and phyllo. Recipe should make approximately 48 bite size rolls.
- Line sausage rolls on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and the sausage has an internal temperature of 160 F
- Serve warm
Approximate Total Time: 1 hour
Makes: 48 pieces
- Farmer John